If you’re looking for a feature-rich VHF/UHF radio with a built-in GPS for APRS, the Kenwood TM-D710GA is definitely worth a look.
- Two-color LCD backlight – The LCD panel is large and easy to read, and can be toggled between a green and amber backlight depending on your preferences and where you’re using this mobile transceiver.
- Separate front panel – The front LCD panel is separate and attached to the base of the unit with cables. This adds quite a bit of flexibility if you’re mounting the unit in a car, truck, or a ham shack.
- Built-in GPS for APRS – The TM-D710GA has a built-in GPS unit so that APRS works out of the box, and tons of advanced APRS features like a GPS logger, waypoint marking, and automatic time correction.
- Simultaneous receive on UHF/VHF – This transceiver can receive simultaneously on UHF and VHF bands, and also supports VxV and UxU modes, allowing it to receive two frequencies on the same band.
- 50w of power output – With the right antenna, the Kenwood TM-D710GA has excellent range and clarity, whether used in a ham shack or mounted in a vehicle.
- 1,000 memory channels – With more than 1,000 memory channels, you’re unlikely to run out of room any time soon. You can also save up to 100 APRS stations including base, mobile, weather, and object stations.
- Only supports Windows – You’ll have to buy a programming cable separately, and there is no software to program the Kenwood TM-D710GA using MacOS, so this is not a great option for Mac power users.
- GPS lag – Some users have reported that it takes a bit more time for the GPS to sync compared to other radios, usually around 10-15 seconds. However, this does not appear to affect every unit.
The TM-D710GA is an excellent analog radio for UHF and VHF, and also packs in more advanced GPS and APRS features than you can shake a stick at. It’s reliable, durable, and is sure to keep you occupied with its surprisingly deep – yet easy to use – feature set.
Band A & B
144 ~ 148MHz
430 ~ 450MHz
118 ~ 524MHz*
136 ~ 524MHz
800 ~ 1300MHz*
|Operating temperature range||-4°F +140°F(-20°C +60°C)|
|Frequency stability||Within ±5ppm 3+14 °F +122 °F(-10°C +50°C)|
Less than 13.0A
Less than 4.0A
Less than 4.0A
Less than 13.0A
Less than 6.5A
Less than 5.0A
|Current Drain Receive||Less than 1.2A (at 2W audio output)|
(W x H x D)
6.10 x 2.76 x 1.50 inch (155 x 70 x 38 mm)
5.51 x 1.69 x 5.59 inch (140 x 43 x 142 mm)
6.14 x 2.80 x 2.20 inch (156 x 71 x 56 mm)
5.51 x 1.73 x 6.22 inch (140 x 44 x 158 mm)
|Weight (approx.)||Panel 0.7 lbs. (0.3 kg) Body 2.6 lbs. (1.2 kg)|
|RF Output Power||VHF|
|Spurious Radiation||Less than -60dB|
|Modulation Distortion (300Hz ~ 3kHz)||Less than 3%|
|Circuitry||Double Super Heterodyne|
|Intermediate Frequency||1st IF|
|Sensitivity (VHF/UHF)||Less than -16dBμ (0.16μv)|
|Squelch Sensitivity (VHF/UHF)||Less than -20dBμ (0.1μv)|
More than 11kHz
Less than 30kHz
|Audio Output (8Ω)||More than 2W (at 5% distortion)|
- In an overview of the TM-D710GA, Everything Ham Radio had positive impressions of the unit, calling it a “true dual band radio” with “many functions built into it that most radios don’t have.” He appreciated the built in TNC and GPS receivers, which enabled seamless APRS operation.
- YouTuber The Tech Prepper invested in the TM-D710GA, and said it has “best-in-class support for APRS.” He did note the lack of a touchscreen, but had good things to say about the large number of physical buttons on the unit, and its overall “solid construction.”
- Users on eHam.net have given this unit an average of 4.2 stars across 10 reviews. Users who liked this mobile transceiver noted that it’s a “very nice radio” with “great range and good power output,” and “excellent audio quality.” Users with more mixed reviews of the product noted its lack of macOS support, as well as its reliance on expensive, proprietary cables.
- DXEngineering reviews have given the Kenwood TM-D710GA an average of 5 stars across 11 reviews. Users noted the intuitive menu support, excellent APRS functionality, and strong analog radio performance of this unit as its best features.